RFID technologies and applications could help businesses save money by better managing work in process, assets, inventory and improve shipping accuracy.
Manufacturing processes often times involve processes in harsh environmental conditions (e.g. high temperature, humidity, abrasion, presence of chemicals or other fluids) in which traditional barcode labels are poorly suited for. RFID systems are utilized at several phases of manufacturing to increase efficiency and reliability.
Benefits to manufacturers and logistics operator:
- Reduced operating costs due to improved operational efficiency (e.g. increased automation) and minimized loss of assets and production waste.
- Reduced shipping errors and increased visibility and supplier collaboration within a supply chain.
- Improved security and proof of authenticity with increased visibility of goods within a supply chain.
- More accurate inventories.
- Cost reduction through minimized buffer inventories and increased inventory turnover.
- Better control over materials - right parts and components are readily available for the just-in-time production.
- Improved utilization of assets and resources by minimizing waiting times and eliminating waste or re-work.